As part of our research and heritage content for the Everton trail, two of our Veterans in Practice, Norman (from Blind Veterans UK) and new VIP member Neil have selected St. George’s Church (the Iron Church) for their site of interest on our Everton trail.
Hearing from local resident and Church member Bob Halliday, the group recording and discussed the 1800s key figures which founded the first ever Iron Church building (arguably in the world!), including James Atherton, who donated the land (and later built New Brighton), John Cragg who built the historical building and Thomas Rickman its architect. Although erected slightly before our heritage period in 1814, the building acts as such as key historical reference to the area it just add to be included!
We also heard about the many as diverse visitors who attended the many services from the 1850s onwards, from the Normandy Veterans during WW1 to the current School Children and younger communities of today.